PHP is probably one of the most popular scripting languages available and has been used for the development of some of the largest websites on the internet. As PHP is an open source scripting language you can use it for free; you will also be able to modify the core code of the system if you wish to have PHP run in a certain way. As PHP is open source it can be used on any platform and is supported by both Windows and Linux; this provides you with a wide variety of web hosting services to choose from if you require PHP web hosting. However, PHP functions best when used in a Linux web hosting environment and so LAMP (Linux, Apache MySQL and PHP) setups are popular with both individuals that have small budgets but also for larger businesses that want the most cost effective solution available.
What should I look for in a PHP web hosting package?
There is a combination of factors that will help to produce the best PHP web hosting package for your requirements and so it is important for you to take into consideration the different factors that could affect a PHP web hosting service. It is important for you to look for the following:
- Support for MySQL – MySQL is the main database application used in conjunction with PHP and if you wish to create dynamic websites using PHP then using MySQL as your database backend is going to be a wise move – MySQL is an open source database server that will function well on both Windows and Linux servers – MySQL performs best with PHP and is used by some of the world’s largest websites to power their operations, although in such situations the likelihood is that the core of the application has been modified to use less system resources
- cPanel hosting – if you are looking to make the most of PHP web hosting then it is recommended that you choose a web hosting provider that is offering cPanel web hosting services – cPanel is the most popular control panel for Linux shared hosting services and can provide you with advance support for PHP by providing you with various features related to the scripting language including a script editor that is part of the File Manager – cPanel will also be able to tell you which version of PHP is running on the server that your web hosting account is hosted on as some applications are only able to function with certain versions of PHP
- Third-party components – in some situations you may wish to make use of third-party components that can be integrated into PHP scripts with ease, or the use of the components may be a requirement if you wish to use an applications that has already been developed – some web hosting providers will be able to offer you premium components as a free extra with some of their web hosting services, but if you have a specific component or PHP module that you need to use but isn’t available then you may have to consider your own VPS server or dedicated server in order for your web hosting requirements to be met.
What are the disadvantages that could affect the functionality of a PHP web hosting package?
It is important for you to take into consideration the factors that could affect the functionality of PHP based websites. It is a good idea to consider the following disadvantages of some web hosting services as they could have a negative impact on you:
- Security measures – the security measures implemented by some web hosting providers could have an adverse effect on the functionality of your PHP based website – some web hosting providers may choose to disable specific PHP modules that your website may require if it is to be able to function correctly – mod_security is another security measure that could restrict your ability to accept certain data that is entered into forms on your website, although on the other hand this is something that can be disabled by request with most web hosting providers
- Disk space – the disk space that you have available to use could greatly limit you if you wish to create a website that relies upon a large database as the amount of disk space that your databases use will eat into your overall disk space allowance – it is a good idea to go with a PHP web hosting package that will be able to offer you a disk space allowance that doesn’t put the hosting package out of your budget but will still be able to sustain the growth of your website.
In conclusion, PHP web hosting services are available for a low cost and will offer you the resources that you require to sustain the growth of your website on a budget. Most PHP web hosting services are feature-packed which will help you to ensure that you are getting good value for money.