As a server hosting customer you can never underestimate the importance of backing your server up on a regular basis so that if the worst does happen and your server crashes and takes the hard drive with it, you will have at least one copy of your data that you can then use to restore your server once it has been repaired. Many web hosting companies offer backup hosting solutions alongside their dedicated server and VPS server hosting plans and it is recommended that you consider one of these backup hosting plans if you wish to be sure of the safety of your data. It is recommended that you store multiple backups of your server as this will enable you to restore to different periods of time depending on the incident; it is recommended that you take daily, weekly and monthly backups. There are a number of different ways in which you can backup your server on such a regular basis; recommended practice is to use a professional backup application that will take care of this for you, or on the other hand you may wish to develop your own scripts if you have more specialist requirements that need to be seen to appropriately. You should always try and purchase your backup hosting solutions from a web hosting company other to the one that you have your VPS server or dedicated server hosting plan with as this will allow for greater redundancy, whilst also reducing the chances of creating a single point of failure.
Benefits of Server Backups
Whether you are a business or an individual, there are many benefits to backing up your server on a regular basis as it is important to ensure that you always have a fresh copy of your data to revert to if something goes wrong. These benefits include:
- Hackers – if hackers gain entry to your server then they could cause irreparable damage and data loss and if you haven’t backed up any of your data then you could find that you’re never able to recover the files that have been deleted or damaged by the hackers – in this situation you will be able to revert your server to one of your previous virus-free backups so that you can then get back the data that has been stolen and return your VPS server or dedicated server to a more secure pre-hack state – however, it is important to take into consideration that this won’t solve your problems if hackers have managed to steal data from your server
- Server crashes – server backups will benefit you the most when your server has crashed because they will enable you to restore your server using your original data and configuration information, meaning that even if the hardware in your server has failed, once the failed components have been replaced you will be able to resume service with your server as normal – depending on the type of backups that you make, they should enable to restore your server to its original state in no time at all as a system wide backup plan will enable you to guarantee the continuity and the safety of the data hosted on your VPS server or dedicated server
- Customer trust – if you are running your own web hosting business on your VPS server or dedicated server then server backups will enable you to gain your customers trust because they will want to be sure that if their website does crash or is down for whatever reason, you will be able to restore it for them in no time at all – furthermore, some of your customers will also like to be sure that if they do something that could damage the data in their web hosting account or the operation of their web hosting account, they can easily revert to an old copy of their data and configuration information as to eradicate the problems that they have created with their web hosting account.
Disadvantages of Server Backups
There can also be some disadvantages that you should be aware of prior to purchasing a backup hosting plan as you want to be sure that you are making the correct option with regards to the solution that is most suitable for your requirements. Some of the disadvantages include:
- Costly – the more you need to backup, the more it is going to cost you and so for larger businesses, backing up all of their servers on a regular basis can be a costly and time consuming process – there are a number of different backup processes available, but a standard backup hosting plan that will provide you with a large assignment of disk space to which you can backup your server shouldn’t cost you too much as it is a very basic measures – corporate solutions such as tape backups on the other hand are very expensive, although highly reliable
- Guarantees – with a backup hosting plan you can’t come to expect too many guarantees in the way of data integrity because often the data will be backed up over the internet, but if you choose a more tested and proven method of storing historical backups of data such as tape backups or DVDs then you can be guaranteed the safety of the data that has been backed up as backing up to physical forms of media is seen as being a more reliable system to adopt.
In conclusion, whether you have a VPS server or a dedicated server, it is important to backup your dedicated web hosting environment on a regular basis so that in the event of data loss or a crash, you are able to restore your server hosting service to its original state prior to the incident with just a few clicks. There are a number of different backup solutions to choose from depending on your situation and whether you are using a VPS server or a dedicated server; your budget will also dictate your ability to choose a particular method of server backup.