ASP.NET is a scripting framework developed by Microsoft that is used by web developers to create highly scalable web applications that are to be hosted in a Windows web hosting environment. ASP.NET web applications are usually developed in conjunction with Microsoft database systems such as Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL Server in order to create dynamic web applications that are able to utilize a well designed front-end with a reliable database back-end. ASP.NET web applications will only function correctly in Windows web hosting environments as ASP.NET is a Microsoft technology; this means that you will need to consider either Windows shared hosting or Windows dedicated web hosting for your requirements. ASP.NET is a scripting framework generally reserved for larger businesses due to the deployment costs that are involved, and on top of this the features of the ASP.NET framework do identify it as being more suitable for larger projects rather than smaller ones.
What are the advantages of using ASP.NET?
There are several different advantages to using ASP.NET that are you to benefit you most if you are a business. The main advantages of using ASP.NET include:
- Microsoft database system integration – ASP.NET websites can be integrated with Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL Server database back-ends which will allow you to develop dynamic websites using only Microsoft applications – when developing dynamic websites, you want to be sure that the combination of database server and scripting language that you are using will allow you to create a sustainable system that will be able to cope with high loads – by using ASP.NET with a Microsoft database application you are guaranteed to be able to create a web application using two components that will function seamlessly with each other
- Scalable web applications – ASP.NET is ideal for the development of scalable web applications as ASP.NET web applications will always perform well under high loads, although the extent to which this is applicable will depend on the specifications of the server that you are using – Windows servers are generally used by larger businesses which is evident with the costs that are incurred when using a Windows servers, but the performance offered is usually higher than that offered by Linux servers when it comes to large scale business applications which is why ASP.NET is ideal for the development of scalable web applications
- AJAX – ASP.NET comes with native AJAX components built-in that you will be able to make use of if you wish to create a dynamic website that makes the most of the latest client technologies – AJAX will allow you to create web pages and scripts that can dynamically send and receive data from the server without having to reload an entire web page, allowing you to create a seamless and easy to use system that will also reduce the load on the hosting server and your website’s overall bandwidth usage – having specific AJAX components available to you as part of the scripting framework that you are using will reduce the amount of work that you need to do to incorporate any additional script libraries that you may wish to make use of.
The advantages of using ASP.NET show that it is a scripting framework ideal for creating web applications that are capable of making the most of the latest technologies available and will be able to offer visitors the feature-rich experience that they demand.
What are the disadvantages of using ASP.NET?
There can also be disadvantages to using ASP.NET that you should be aware of as these could affect your ability to use the scripting framework effectively. Such disadvantages could include:
- Implementation costs – ASP.NET isn’t an open source scripting framework and will only function on Windows servers meaning that a considerable amount of money will need to be spent on purchasing Windows licenses if you wish to use the scripting framework – on top of this some of the main development tools that are used for ASP.NET, such as Microsoft Visual Studio, also cost quite a bit meaning that ASP.NET is a scripting framework that should only be considered for use by larger businesses that can justify the cost
- Platform – ASP.NET web pages and scripts will only function correctly on Windows web hosting services which can be a hassle for some businesses that may already be running a large number of Linux servers or may well already be using Linux web hosting services – although some web hosting providers do claim to be able to offer support for ASP.NET on Linux servers, the support offered is only limited and will not allow you to make the most of the scripting framework.
In conclusion, ASP.NET is a scripting framework that can provide businesses with many benefits when developing large-scale websites that need to be able to cope with high loads. If you are only going to be developing smaller websites then ASP.NET may not be the best choice for you because of the implementation costs that are involved, and instead you may wish to consider PHP for your requirements.